INTERNATIONAL DISPUTES SETTLEMENT
Tutor: Prof. JUDr. Pavel Šturma, DrSc.
This brand new LL.M. programme provides the opportunity of an in-depth study of international dispute settlement from a broad range of perspectives. The program covers all current approaches to the subject-matter, including public international law and private law, and includes many relevant fields, such as commercial and investment arbitration, WTO dispute resolution, proceedings before international courts (ICJ, ICC, ECHR), as well as sports arbitration.
The respective courses are taught by experienced lecturers and/or leading experts from practice; including Professor Pavel Šturma (member of the UN International Law Commission 2012-2021 and Chair of its 2019 session), Dr. Peter Tomka (since 2003 Judge at the International Court of Justice and its President between 2012 and 2015) and others.
Graduates from this LL.M. Programme may find themselves in better position on the global legal market as attorneys, arbitrators or experts in other ADR methods. Some may surely look for positions in international organisations, in the academia and/or act as legal counsels or clerks at international courts and tribunals.
Students are required to complete 5 mandatory courses (each for 8 credits). Moreover they are obliged to choose and complete at least 4 optional courses (each for 5 credits). They also may choose 1 out of 3 optional practical courses: Moot Courts (for 8 credits). In the third semester students are expected to attend a LL.M. Thesis Seminar (5 credits), complete an LL.M. Thesis under the supervision of a tutor and defend it before a committee (25 credits).
Courses offered within the Specialisation International Disputes Settlement:
1. The Organization of International Dispute Settlement; responsible supervisor: Doc. JUDr. Vladimír Balaš, CSc., prof. JUDr. Pavel Šturma, DrSc.
2. Judicial Protection of Rights in the Czech Republic; responsible supervisor: Prof. JUDr. Alena Macková, PhD.
3. International Commercial Arbitration; responsible supervisor: JUDr. Martin Svatoš, PhD.
1. Trade and Investment Arbitration; responsible supervisor: Doc. JUDr. Vladimír Balaš, CSc.
2. Jurisdictional Immunities; responsible supervisor: Prof. JUDr. Pavel Šturma, DrSc., Doc. JUDr. Vladimír Balaš, CSc.
1. Special Guest Lecture on the International Court of Justice; H.E. Dr. Peter Tomka, Judge and former president of the ICJ
2. Mediation; responsible supervisor: JUDr. Martin Svatoš, PhD.
3. Studies of the International Criminal Court Case-law; responsible supervisor: JUDr. Milan Lipovský, PhD.
4. Case-law of the European Court of Human Rights; responsible supervisor: JUDr. Mgr. Alla Tymofeyeva, PhD.
5. Dispute Resolution in Sport-Related Matters; responsible supervisor: Prof. Dr. Michael Geistlinger, JUDr. David Kohout, PhD.
1. Legal Compliance as Prevention of Disputes; responsible supervisor: Mgr. Milena Nosková, PhD., LL.M., MBA
2. Jessup Moot Court; responsible supervisor: JUDr. Milan Lipovský, PhD.
3. International Investment Law and Arbitration Moot; responsible supervisor: Doc. JUDr. Vladimír Balaš, CSc.
4. Vis International Arbitration Moot; responsible supervisors: Doc. JUDr. Vladimír Balaš, CSc., JUDr. Petr Bříza, Ph.D., LL.M.